Some Basics of CSS Examination

Posted on June 23, 2008 |
Filed Under CSS Advisory, CSS FAQs, CSS Pakistan | 48 Comments

What is CSS examination?

Every year, the Federal Public Service Commission (FPSC), in accordance with constitution of Islamic Republic of Pakistan, conducts competitive examination in order to fill the vacancies available in Public sector occupation groups and service. The Central Superior Services (CSS) is the layman term for that competitive examination. For details of occupational groups and services, click here.

When CSS examination is held?

There is not set date for the examination. FSPC use to announce it as per need and request of Government of Islamic Republic of Pakistan. For that matter, it is announced in all the major dailies of the country for information of all those who are interested to appear in the examination. For viewing important announcements online, the website of FPSC can be visited by clicking here.

When forms are available?

The availability of forms is also announced in all the major dailies of the country. For viewing important announcements online, the website of FPSC can be visited by clicking here.

What are the fees?

For application processing and examination, FPSC charges a nominal fee of 1000 rupees only. This fee is true till CSS 2008.

What is the minimum qualification required for CSS?

A candidate must hold at least a Second Class or Grade “C” Bachelor’s degree in any faculty of one of the Pakistani Universities or an equivalent degree or comparable educational qualifications of a foreign University recognized by Higher Education Commission, Islamabad.

What is the age limit for CSS examination?

A candidate for admission to the examination must have attained the age of 21years and must not have attained the age of 28 years. The upper limit of age gets relaxed for government servants, the members of scheduled castes, tribes, the residents of Azad Kashmir, Northern areas, few areas of Baluchistan and disabled candidates on provision of certificates by competent authority. For further details please click here.

What should be the nationality of the candidates?

The candidate for the examination must be a citizen of Pakistan or a person deriving his/her nationality from the State of Jammu and Kashmir.

What are qualifying marks for this examination?

The Commission with prior approval of the Government may fix qualifying marks in any or all of the subjects of the examination but a candidate who fails to secure at least 40% marks in any compulsory subject, 33% marks in any of the optional subjects, 50% marks in the Aggregate and 100 marks at the Viva Voce Test, will be considered to have failed and will not be eligible for appointment.

I have passed written examination of CSS, what is next?

Candidates qualifying the written examination will be called for Medical, Psychological Tests and Viva Voce. For a complete guide to preparation of medical, psychological test and Viva Voce, please click here.

After interview, what is the next step?

After interview, in a period of a week or so, the final merit list based on both written and interview marks is published and latter, the candidates are allocated with there respective occupational groups or services.

Where can I find the detailed rules of CSS examination?

The updated rules and Syllabus of CSS examination can be downloaded by clicking here.

How many vacancies are available every year?

The number of vacancies varies every year and is notified through media and FSPC website.

Comments

48 Responses to “Some Basics of CSS Examination”

1. Daud siddiq on November 27th, 2008 7:53 pm

Dear Sir, I am 4o years of age, would like to take part in CSS exames, if the age limit does not allow me, My next question would be, is there any other Government run compitation exames available for people over 40? I have a forign degree, BA(HONS) fashion product Management,London, and would like to play a positive role in bulding up the nation, please reply with your comments. Thanks

2. Sajjad Hussain on December 30th, 2008 11:15 am

Respected Sir,
    i m student of B.A. and jobholder of Nation Management College, (Old NIPA) which is government orgination. i m in 27 year old and apply CCS examination in 2009 when i was 29 year can i apply because i m already working since 3 year in government sector what can i do. if u give me that solution i will very king of u.
    with best regards.
    sajjad Hussain

3. Shahab Bhittani on January 3rd, 2009 10:33 pm

Sir i have a single question that is what is the duration of css candidates till final selection?is it one year or more?
    Thanks

4. ayesha on January 19th, 2009 9:53 pm

Sir,
    can i know how many times can a CSS candidate apply for the exam if the person can’t qualify in the first time?

5. ZAHEER-UD-DIN on March 8th, 2009 11:45 pm

Respected Sir,
    I am a student of Computer Engineering in the UET.I have completed my two years of engineering and two years have left to be a complete engineer.After completing my four years engineering i want to take part in the CSS examination.What are the reqirements for me to take part in that examination.

6. Nazir Ahmed on April 26th, 2009 11:57 am

Dear Sir,

I am 33 years of age, I have done B.Com in 1995 and would like to take part in CSS exames.

please reply with your comments. Thanks

7. ijaz on May 9th, 2009 9:05 pm

sir iam 32 years old and want to know the 40 year old govt servat can apply in css exam .

8. Dr Farrukh Malik on May 12th, 2009 1:05 am

No a 40 years old govt servant can not apply for CSS in any way.

9. sherbaz on May 28th, 2009 3:38 pm

Dear sir my name is sherbaz khan Resident of hunza pakistan.recently i did my bachelor from university of punjab with 2nd div.now i am willing to apper in CSS exam.but i have no enough information about,
    how to registered..?
    how to selected subjects..?
    tests schdule..?
    any special seat for northen areas condidates..?
    dare sir i need ur humble guidence and feedback.iam looking forward for positive feedback at ur end.
    me e-mail address for ur kind feedback is bazsher@yahoo.com
    kind regards
    sherbaz

10. Dr Farrukh Malik on May 28th, 2009 11:30 pm

Dear Sherbaz,

All the questions are answered in FAQs, please visit it. Moreover, I encourage you to please join The CEP Forum, where you can find loads of related material.

11. Asjad Javed on June 30th, 2009 6:36 pm

Sir I did my Bachelors in Business Administration in 2007 and have been working with HSBC. Recently I have been admitted at a university in US and plan on doing my MBA from there starting from Aug 2009. By the time I do my MBA I will be 29 years of age. I want to know whether I can apply for CSS as I have recently read in a newspaper that the upper age limit will be relaxed by 5 years. Though the statement came from the FPSC Research Director, there is no mention of it on the css website. Kindly guide me whether I should go for my masters and then apply for css or should I sit for the exam first.

12. Dr Farrukh Malik on July 2nd, 2009 10:21 pm

The decision is not yet confirmed so play safe.

13. ikhlaq hussain on July 3rd, 2009 9:20 pm

salam dear sir how r u hope so u r fyn sir ist of i realy impresed and aprrisiated for ur this activity may ALLAH help u.
    dear sir i have passed may master degree in economics recentlly with 1st divin sir i have keen intrested to become a part of css sir plz help me in selection of subjects n also give me some sugission.
    i m frm northren areas sir.
    i shall waiting ur response sir

14. Dr Farrukh Malik on July 3rd, 2009 10:23 pm

I recommend you to visit the following site for all your queries:

If you have any query please post it there for a swift response.

15. Saeed Ahmed on July 28th, 2009 9:54 am

Dear, Have a good day. I need the list of candidates appeared in CSS exam-2006

16. amna on August 22nd, 2009 1:15 pm

i want to know exactly the height that is required for final selection

17. Mir Zaman on December 14th, 2009 3:37 pm

I want to join the competive Examination of 2010. I need some guidelines from the succeeded candidates, who have performed well in the past.

I need help to select the books and cadre for my study.

Regards

18. Shahab ud din Bhittani on March 25th, 2010 4:43 pm

Sir ? realy appreciate ur efforts nd gruelling work towards mankind
    Sir,often it is noticed dat essay comes fail ,how to overcome this menace.
    Salam

19. Imran on July 30th, 2010 10:32 am

Sir can appear in this exam with a private degree of B.A

20. maryam on September 14th, 2010 12:25 am

SIR,
    AOA,I m a student of pharm-D 18 years old after my graduation in medicine i want to appear in CSS exam i want to be an FSP but i m a girl eveyone discourages me plz guide and plz tell whch subjects will suit me more?

21. mehak on October 7th, 2010 12:40 pm

A.oA ! sir what is the age limit of Govt employ women for css?

22. Tehrim on October 11th, 2010 5:58 pm

Sir,
    I have Bachelor’s degree in commerce but my age is 30 years in Nov. so can i apply for CSS exam .Plz Reply

23. zaheer khan on October 14th, 2010 7:49 pm

dear sir kindly let me know that is the person of 5 feet and 1 inch ( in male case ) is exceptable for css examination.

24. sadiya on October 26th, 2010 2:12 am

ASSALAMUALIKUM
    respected sir.
    i am 21 years old and hav completed my i.com
    i dont hav bachelor degree.
    so, am i eligible for css?
    i want to do it now without do bachelors..
    may i?
    plz reply
    JAZAKALLAH

25. amna on October 29th, 2010 4:14 pm

aoa sir..i am final year student of pharm D.i just want to ask what type of subjects shout i select for preparation i am little bit confused about it. i am very interested in current affairs .plz suggest me that i asked?

26. ADEEL on October 31st, 2010 4:59 pm

AT the age of 28 if someone is failed to pass exame of css.can it be appear at 29 years old

27. shehla on January 11th, 2011 2:39 am

sir , i am 32 y old now n divorced i did masters in english atdecember2010 in second division,tell me am i eligiblge for css by any rule of age relaxation.
    ALLAH HAFIZ

28. ali sharif on February 22nd, 2011 7:27 pm

salam,
    my age is now going to 21,and my bba will be complete till 2012 but due to continous taken courses my bba program will ended in the year end of 2011 and i will get the transcript of bba from iqra university,so i want to ask that, on transcript of bba can i appky for css program before getting my degree of bba!!?

29. imran khan on March 9th, 2011 11:29 pm

dear sir
    My qualification is BA but i have 48% marks in that . Now my age is 28years.i am a govt servant .please til me that ,can i apply and how i apply for css exam?

30. shehrbano on April 14th, 2011 8:25 pm

salaam!! i am 18 year old…! and i am gonna finish my FSC and after FSC i am thinking to apply for BA. to appear in CSS exams after BA! plz tell me can i attempt BA (part1 & part2) exams together in one year! and if i can then i will be able to pass BA in one year mean i will start my BA after sep2011 and will finish it in 2012 InshAllah! and then my age will b 19 … actually my date of birth is 22 September 1992… when i will be able to appear in CSS exams.. plzz tell me

31. zubair ali dal on June 26th, 2011 4:48 pm

sir asslom alaikum sir i have done b.e electrical.sir will you please tell me that am i eligible 4 css exam or not.if yes sir please suggest me subjects for my prepartion which are most related to my field and other compulsory which are easy for me to prepare on them.thanks

32. saba on August 3rd, 2011 6:30 am

Respected sir,
    i want to know about the sbject selection for css. am a student of b.s hons in uog.

33. Shoaib Alam on September 18th, 2011 12:46 pm

sir,
    i m studend of BA in AJK university . I want to know that can I join the axam of css plz inform me obout the pripairing test of it thanks .
    Shoaib Alam

34. ramzan khan on September 24th, 2011 7:02 pm

respected sir.
    I have completed my intermadiation exams with 76 percent marks and now I am doing C.A. What I like to know is that can a qualified C.A apply for the C.S.S without any bachelor degree? looking forward to see your positive and prompt response.

35. Ali on October 7th, 2011 10:53 am

Aslam-o-Alikum,

Sir, I have done B.A from Allama Iqbal Open University. I am eligible for CSS Exam.

Plzzzzzzzz Guaid meeee iam waiting your answar.

36. AZBA ABDULLAH on October 29th, 2011 12:56 am

aoa!sir how r u?i m azba frm ctn.i m in b.sc.final year.i m 18 n half year old.my b.sc.will complete in april2011.can i appear in css exam?bcoz required age is 21.but there are also some relexations in age limt.what u say abaot it?

37. mohsib on December 26th, 2011 1:04 am

i want to know about the details for css preparation .

38. RAMSHA JAMSHED on January 11th, 2012 2:08 am

i wanna ask that bachelor’s should be done from university.If we are the bachelors of college so are we applicable .Please do reply.Thanks

39. maha on January 13th, 2012 4:25 pm

aoa,,sir
    i m amazed to know that bchlr’s degree is enough for css.i want to know from you tht is height is important for clearing css exam? i mean from medical test point of view for css height is compulsory????
    n my second question is that what type of jobs girlz can do after css??/…i mean which are suitable for girlz..
    regards!!

40. ayesha farooq on January 17th, 2012 9:37 pm

aoa sir i have completed my MSc in buisness statistics and management from punjab university. i want to appear in css exam can u plz guide me in selection of subjects.

41. Bilal ahmed khan Afridi on January 19th, 2012 12:45 am

sir!!!
    I AM STUDENT OF HSC-2 AND I AM COMPLETING MY HSC-2 IN 2012 INSHAALLAH…MY AGE IS 17 PLEASE TELL ME ELIGIBLE FOR CSS IN 2012???I AM WATING FOR YOUR ANSWER

42. Sana on February 12th, 2012 11:34 pm

Respected sir,
    kindly give a little detail about the jobs of female candidates in css.
    Hope to hear u soon.
    Thanks

43. syed farhan hussain on February 19th, 2012 6:55 pm

dear sir,
    am i eligible for css because i am now 31 year old.

44. Rao Qurban on February 23rd, 2012 4:26 pm

Sir,
    i am sufar for chosing books for preparing css exam. sir plz gaid me .
    thanks

45. Hubdar Ali Qazi on February 27th, 2012 9:38 pm

Dear, sir im 18 years old, so is that comfortable for me to start preparing for css exam? Plz guide me…………………

46. Joel Frederick on April 2nd, 2012 12:23 pm

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN
    Respected SIR,
    Could any one holding a B.A(2-year )
    degree apply for css
    awaiting your immediate reply

Yours sincerely,
    JOEL

47. Nida Akhtar on April 8th, 2012 1:48 pm

Dear Sir, I am a student of pharm-D in baqai medical university . I am in 2nd year of pharm-D.Now i am interested in css . Can i take admission after completion of my two years of Pharem-D.

48. Mehwish rafiq on February 11th, 2013 1:04 am

Dear Sir, I am a student of pharm-D in Islamia university bahawalpur . I am in 3rd year of pharm-D.Now i am interested in css . Can i take admission after completion of my two years of Pharem-D.